Thursday, November 21, 2013

Birkie Training: Pre-Thanksgiving



Count down to the Birkie: 92 Days!

Martin and I have decided to sign up for the American Birkebeiner this year. If you are in the dark about this event like I was until meeting Martin, it's an annual cross country ski race that takes place in Northern Wisconsin.  This race has a rich history bound in Scandinavian tradition: 

In 1206, skiers in birch leggings traveled through Noway's treacherous mountains and rugged forests, smuggling the son of King Sverresson and Inga of Vartieg to safety during the Civil War.  Inga of Vartieg never became queen as the prince's father was killed before he could return for her in Vartieg. Norwegian history credits the skiers bravery with preserving the life of the boy who later became King Haakon Haakonsson IV and forever changed Northern Europes' history by his reign. The Birkebeiner got its name from the skiers in birch leggings who made this epic journey. 

As someone of Norwegian decent, the idea of this race is an exciting one for me. While I am absolutely sure I was not related to the birkebeiners based on the skiing abilities I demonstrated last year, it's fun to think that I'm doing something that is part of my cultural history. And, skiing in the winter in Minnesota is just plain beautiful.

Last year I just watched, but this year we're both doing it! Martin will do the full Birkie (54K) with his dad and friend, Nick. I signed up for the Korteloppet (23K) to take it easy on myself this first time around. Martin and I have starkly different training strategies when it comes to athletic events. While he is sure he'll be "fine" and isn't actively training at this point, I'm wondering if I should invest in a pair of rollerskies. I'm working on strength training (hope to share my work-out if it goes well) and cardio a few days a week right now. If there is no snow by mid-Dec., rollerskiing will have to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment